Sunday, December 4, 2016

Adolescent Interview About Social Media


Week 11 Blog Post

Adolescent Interview



                This week I conducted an interview with four adolescents, each of whom was comprised of differing characteristics in regard to class, age, and gender. It is staggering how different opinions and concerns can be when you compare such a differing set of interviewees. I have always believed that in order to understand the effects of social media, we need to analyze how such media affects individual whose personal lives differ.

 The adolescents I interviewed were of the following ages: 12, 13, and 16. The interviewee who was 12-years old, George, was male and came from a working-class family. The remaining adolescents were each female and came from rather middle-class families: Tessa (13), Baileigh (13) , and Aiyanna (16). These children were asked the same group of questions in regard to their personal experience as Internet users.

I was baffled at the responses I received. Tessa, who was barely a year older than George, spoke with the eloquence of a college graduate. The verbiage she used was astounding to say the least. I started the survey off by asking subjects, “When did you first began using websites and/or social media as a way of locating information.” Tessa responded by saying she first started in 6th grade, but has not used it for two years. When asked, “What are you looking for in regard to the ‘ideal’ website?”, Tessa responded, “Anonymous information, sharing things that only include usernames that aren’t going to reveal names.” It was mesmerizing that a child so young could already recognize the ramifications of putting too much personal information on the Internet. When I asked Tessa the question, “Is cyberbullying a big problem you see when you go online to social media sites?”, she replied by saying, “Cyberbullying, I see it a lot. It’s terrible. My school never does anything about it. I think it should be stopped.” Tessa’s response may seem “expected” to the everyday listener, but let us dissect the way in which she declared it was an “issue”. She had stated earlier that she only uses the Internet for about 45 minutes a week, and that she only used “Vines” of all social media sites, but still showed the empathy and concern for the rampant problem affecting many teens in today’s society.

George, the 12-year-old boy I interviewed, actually expressed he had a non-existent relationship with social media. I asked George, “Do you find it hard to ingest all the information people post online? When people comment on posts, what topics cause the most responses?” Though he was only one year younger than Tessa, and he first used social media when he was 9, he answered by saying, “I don’t use social media websites, only kid friendly.” Once again I was held aback. I have approached this class feeling that every teenager is obsessed with their phone and spends every waking hour commenting on their friends’ posts. But in actuality, the first two I interviewed do not even enjoy social media. I also asked George, “Do a lot of people you see in school choose to text rather than call? Do you feel it is easier to talk online or via texting rather than in-person or on the phone?” He responded by saying, “I do not have my own phone. However, I do see a lot kids using their phones at school.” The answer made me curious, can George’s disengagement from social media be simply because he is not in a position to own a phone, or is he another example of potential teens straying away from the “social scene”.

No comments:

Post a Comment